Thursday, October 9, 2008

A proper wednesday.

Wednesdays are important days for cyclocross racers. The body is just healed enough for hard training if it raced both days of the preceding weekend and after that training there's just enough time to recover for the weekend. This wednesday turned out to be a glorious one, weather-wise and an average one, training-wise. Sunny, no clouds, mid-70's temperature- as good as it gets! So, even though I was still feeling a bit battered from the weekend, it was a damned nice backdrop for my training efforts.

I rode over hill and dale getting to my training place in the Marin headlands. I saw a big hawk *almost* snatch a smaller songbird out of mid-air: the hawk came ripping down out of nowhere with it's talons out, but the little bird got the jump and went ripping into some low bushes. Lucky! It was a cool little show that happened right in front of me on the trail.

I did some dismounts and remounts for a bit and then did laps on my practice course at a medium tempo for 20 minutes. Once I was more or less warmed up, I cranked out a good hard lap that took about 7 minutes... I hope I'm faster by the weekend because I felt kinda sluggish. I pedalled back home through Sausalito rather than back over on the dirt. As I was rolling up to Thai Terrace, I went for my phone to call my Dad to invite him up for a bite since he lives more or less across the street from this place.

As I'm opening my pack, my phone starts to ring and not only is it my Dad calling me, he'sactually calling me from inside the restaurant as he's getting ready to order! Crazy! I love telepathy! We had some killer Thai food and I made my way home.

Next, I got cleaned up and headed over to Rachell Lloyd's house for massage. I haven't had a rub in a while and it felt great, I'm recovered nicely today as a result- she knows how to fix tired bike racers! Rachell and I ended up going down to the bike shop afterwards to buy some glue, I made her double ride me on her and Sam's new Surley "Big Dummy" cargo bike which was pretty fun. The massage made me feel kind of loopy so it was probably best for me to be on the back!

So, today I just have to put that glue to use and get some tires stuck. Nice to get that hard training behind me- I'll rest today and then prepare for sunday's CCCX race over the next few days. New track @ Laguna Seca, that should be fun!

No comments: