Tuesday, October 7, 2008

It's cyclocross time and I've got "new" bikes!



Cross has been happening in Norcal for some weeks now and as if that's not thrilling enough, I've also got a lot of cool new stuff hanging from my bikes. These are frames that I've had for a couple seasons now and thankfully they're still in great shape. Paul Sadoff really got these right for me, I don't look forward to learning to ride different ones some day. The Scandium frames are super light, stiff and fit me beautifully!

We've been really lucky to have support from some of the best companies in the business for some of the more overlooked parts on bikes. I got headsets from Chris King and (gold!) brakes from Paul Components a couple years back and needless to say that stuff is still working like when I first got it.

One sponsor that is not new but has stepped up for us BIG TIME this year is Easton. I am using Easton's full range of cyclocross worthy parts this season: forks, bars, stems, seatposts, wheels and cranks. Not only am I lucky to have Easton's product on my whips, I've pretty much got Easton's BEST and NEWEST stuff! The wheels are unbelievable- my EC-90 SLX wheels weighed 1185g before I glued them up. On the B bike I use the EA-70x aluminum tubulars which are really great wheels for cyclocross and a more realistic option for most budget minded cyclocrossers. The carbon wheels combined with the new EC-90 SLX carbon cranks/ceramic bearing BB (100g lighter than DA!) get my A bike's weight down to under 16.5 lbs.







The bars are incredibly light and stiff too and they have a great shape that feels great and doesn't undermine my traditional sensibilities regarding handlebars.


I got Easton's EA-90 aluminum stem and EA-70 seatpost as well, these parts were chosen for durability, reliability and light weight. I've used the Easton full-carbon fork for a few years now, I think it's the best cross fork made especially now that they've managed to fabricate them with threads in the steerer for headset adjustment. This eliminates the need for a troublesome mechanical plug to be utilized.

Bell is providing the hard-hats for us agin this year. The Sweep model is what we get, and thankfully it fits my head wonderfully. Nothing's worse than an ill-fitting helmet.

Sheila Moon gives us hats, base layers and arm and knee warmers!

I am using GU products this year as well! This is a very good new sponsor for me, I've long used their product when I race and it's great to have all my old favorite flavors of gel to choose from before and after the races. Their new Roctane gel is something that I've also been experimenting with, it's really amazing on longer training days and anytime I want some caffeine on the bike. The Roctane flavors make it easy for me to go a little over board with the caffeine so I try and control myself with that stuff. The GU20 electrolyte drink is also a training and racing essential for me, that stuff tastes so good when you're thirsty and best of all it isn't too sweet.

I'm really glad to be getting help from these great companies. I'm on the best Norcal team and we have the best bikes, so it's hard to hope for more than that! I've managed some nice wins as a result and I've had a great time over the last few weeks seeing everyone at the races and watching the battles. If you see me at the races, say hi or heckle me when I'm suffering- I'll do my best to put on a show!

8 comments:

Courtenay said...

ok your bike is making my bike look fat and totally out of style, i can't even deal.

karla said...

wow, 16.5 lbs??? My road bike is 2 pounds heavier than that!!! I don't even want to weigh my CX bike :)

place_holder said...

higher center of gravity, indeed.

jeff said...

the Easton stuff looks dope. For someone like me who doesn't get free Easton stuff...are the aluminum EA70X wheels a lot heavier than a Dura-Ace/Reflex wheelset. I think the standard DA/Reflex wheelset would be a bit cheaper.

liquidwrench said...

Well, the EA-70 x wheels weigh 1635g and they go for a bit under $500. I don't know how much DA/Reflex weigh or cost, but there you have it!

Wes said...

How are you liking those wheels? I was looking at a pair as well, but I wasn't sure how they'd stand up to the potential abuses of cyclocross. :)

liquidwrench said...

Which set, the carbon ones? They have been totally problem free after 6 races. I haven't been babying them, that's for sure.

I was pretty skeptical about these wheels and I was originally planning to only run them on smooth courses. The guy at Easton who I deal with convinced me to just pound them: "if you can break them, I'll give you another pair.". Say no more!

patrickblack66 said...

I have recently decided to build up a CX bike for this upcoming fall, I was thinking of using the easton EA90 stem as well, how have you liked it? Also what stem angle do you prefer, I can not decide between the +0 or +10, I will not be racing much at first, I just want to bomb down some commuter trails for fun, what are your thoughts?