Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A whole day of slashing along the countryside...

What's better than that?! I left the house at 8:15 am and got back around 3 pm, my computer says I spent more than a half hour lollygagging here and there (I tried not to stop much, even pee'd on the downhills and in the tailwinds). So I put in a bit over 5.5 hrs today out in the wind, mostly by myself.

I haven't gone out and ridden that kind of miles in quite some time. It was such a beautiful day; there's really nothing I'd rather have been doing. I rode from my house in Larkspur out to Fairfax, over White's Hill and out Sir Francis Drake. I went to Nicasio and around the reservoir, and then up to the Cheese Factory. From there I continued north to Marshall, over the dreaded "wall". At highway 1 I turned south and rode all the way down the coast to Mill Valley, only interrupted by a quick stop for a peanut butter blondie from Bovine Bakerey in Pt. Reyes. I tacked on a loop around Paradise drive just to see if I could turn it into a "century"- it nearly was, but not quite.

I saw lots of nice sights and whatnot, but the most interesting thing I came upon was a guy catching a BIG stingray in Bolinas lagoon. I thought it was a seal at first so I turned around to see what was going on. It was a big round 'merican looking fellow fishing with his daughter, Hummer parked in the breakdown lane. He said he'd been fighting it for an hour and a half! He also said he was going to throw it back, so that's good. It didn't look very happy up on the beach, but I'll admit that I've tortured a few fish in my day so I couldn't say much. I wish I had a little camera with me to capture this scene, it was really something. That ray was probably 2' across, I hope it didn't Steve Irwin his ass in front of his daughter.

My ass hurts and my neck is sore, but my legs feel pretty good. I got on the scale this morning after not checking my weight in months and discovered I am nearly 140 lbs! I am usually closer to 135, so this gave me additional motivation to roll the long steady miles. My quads were on the big side when I got home, 50cm! (special thanks to Beth Newell http://bethbikes.blogspot.com/ for giving cyclists this new aspect of our bodies to measure and obsess over!) Maybe that's where my new extra mass is located? Hopefully so, but I think I'm going to start doing core strengthening excercises soon just to be sure.

4 comments:

beth bikes! said...

50cm?!?! were you measuring in the right place? please review the original quad post because it seems you are confused.

if that is true, you should be *really* embarrassed to show your face at any bike race. some times there are more important things than winning.

place_holder said...

50cm...means it's very likely that your head is bigger than your quad. join the higher center of gravity club.

liquidwrench said...

You guys are mean! And yes, my hat size is greater than my quad size. I feel like I can now sympathize with flat chested women everywhere. Is there such a thing as quad enhancement surgery?

~ lauren said...

ok, so i'm late on this post, but 50 cm sounds about right for a guy who's 135 or 140 lbs.

sheesh, you're little.

i'm a "between 125 and 130 pounder" chick and at 5'9", i think my quads were around the 47 cm or something. but i can't really remember.

but u shouldn't worry - i seem to remember you being super fast at cyclocross. that's all that matters.

~ lauren (morgan's wife - who i think you might know)